Ankita Raina tastes first win on WTA circuit
New Delhi: India`s Ankita Raina recorded her maiden victory on the WTA circuit when she overcame Japanese qualifier Junri Namigata in the opening round of the USD 125,000 International Women`s Open in Nanchang, China.
Ankita, India`s top singles player, beat her opponent 6-4 2-6 6-2 in hot and humid conditions to set up a second a round clash against Ling Zhang of Hong Kong.
"When I was coming here I had a dream that I won my first WTA level match and that has just happened. I am really happy," Ankita said from China.
"In the set break I went to change and I thought I have a set but I need to play the second set like it`s love all because I knew she`s gonna fight back and not let go. So I started being aggressive. But she is a fighter. In the second set she played more consistently, smartly and patiently on the crucial points. Though I had some game points in most of the games in the second set, I lost it 2-6.
"We had a 10 minute break because of the heat rule. I kept believing in myself and started aggressive. I started getting big serves and that helped me to get the first game of the set, yes it helped me, I was 3-0. But it was not over, I had to break her serve again to be in the next round and she had really good wide serves, she even hit a few aces in the match. But I got the very first game point and it was game, set," she explained the duel.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- Read letters by Ratan Tata to PM Narendra Modi and Group employees after Cyrus Mistry's ouster