Ankle injury to keep Li Na away from Hong Kong meet
Hong Kong: Chinese tennis icon Li Na will miss next month`s exhibition match in Hong Kong after her ankle injury failed to respond well enough to treatment, organisers announced here Wednesday.
The 31-year-old Chinese sprained her left ankle in last month`s Australian Open final twice and lost to defending champion Victoria Azarenka in three sets.
The world`s NO.5 also withdrew from the Qatar Open. She was scheduled to face Denmark`s Caroline Wozniacki at the BNP Paribas Showdown here March 4.
"Unfortunately, my ankle is still not ready for me to compete," said Li. "I knew I have lots of fans in Hong Kong and I was looking forward to playing for them. I promise I will be back next year."
World`s number four Agnieszka Radwanska of Poland will take Li`s place in the event.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- Shahid Kapoor marriage: 500 guests have been invited for the wedding, says card designer
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K, one BSF jawan killed in Kupwara
- Mass failure in DU exam: HRD Minister Smriti Irani asks officials to enquire
- Vyapam scam: Congress accuses MP CM of 'misleading' people, demands his resignation