Argentina book place in Davis Cup semifinals
Buenos Aires: Four-time Davis Cup runners-up Argentina have entered the semifinals of the 2012 edition, beating Croatia 4-1 at home.
Argentina`s Juan Martin del Potro, ranked 10th in the world, crushed Croatia`s Marin Cilic, ranked 23rd, 6-1, 6-2 and 6-1 at Parque Roca`s outdoor clay courts in Buenos Aires to end the three-day quarterfinal Sunday.
The duel began Friday at Mary Teran de Weiss stadium, which was packed with 14,500 spectators on each of the three days, Xinhua reported.
In the men`s singles, Juan Monaco (ranked 16th) beat Antonio Veic (150) 6-1, 6-1.
Saturday, Cilic beat David Nalbandian (50) 5-7, 6-4, 4-6, 7-6 (2) and 6-3 in a match that lasted more than five hours.
In the following match, Del Potro, still suffering from a stomach ailment, beat Ivo Karlovic (52) 6-2, 7-6 (7) and 6-1.
In another five-hour match Saturday, the Nalbandian-Eduardo Schwank doubles team defeated the team of Cilic-Karlovic 3-6, 7-6 (6), 6-3, 6-7 (6) and 8-6.
Argentina will face the Czech Republic in semi-finals Sept 14-16, also in Buenos Aires.
The other semi-final will see Spain, which beat Austria 4-1, play the United States (France, 3-2).
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- J&K: Suspected Pakistani spy arrested in Samba district
- DNA: Reporting on war against ISIS in Mosul
- Kerala: Medical college prohibits girls from wearing jeans, noisy ornaments
- Ramgopal Yadav writes letter to SP party workers after Akhilesh Yadav sacked Shivpal Yadav
- Ramgopal Yadav writes to SP workers after Akhilesh Yadav suspends Shivpal Yadav
- India vs New Zealand, 3rd ODI: As it happened...
- Samajwadi Party feud intensifies: Shivpal Yadav sacked, Ramgopal Yadav expelled - As it happened
- 'Ae Dil Hai Mushkil' row: Raj Thackeray says Rs 5 crore 'penance' for signing Pakistani artistes
- Kerala dress code row: 'Why not 'mundus' for men, if 'sarees' for women'
- PM Narendra Modi warns of 'surgical strikes' against black money, corruption