Maria Kirilenko’s branding issue
Zeenews Sports Bureau
Melbourne: Maria Kirilenko was on the verge of disqualification from the Australian Open after a branding issue caught her on the wrong foot.
The 25-year-old Russian was sporting a visor that had the logos of two brands which amounted to breaching of the branding regulations. She was promptly ordered by the organisers to remove the logo of a particular brand from her visor before facing Yanina Wickmayer in her third round match.
"Actually there were two signs and they said I`m not allowed to wear two brands on the same visor,” Kirilenko was quoted as saying by a website.
"I don`t know (why), but I played two matches with that (already) and nobody tell me until today,” she was quoted as saying.
Kirilenko defeated Wickmayer in three sets to book a fourth round date with American Serena Williams.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- World's heaviest woman loses 50 kilos in just 12 days