You make 500(AUD) per minute to lose 6-0 6-0 in Oz Open!
Sydney: Russian tennis player Olga Puchkova earned more than 27,000 Australian dollars despite failing to win a single game against Maria Sharapova during her first round 6-0 6-0 defeat in the Australian Open.
Puchkova made around 500 dollars per minute during her 55 minutes long struggle against Sharapova, News.com.au reports.
Players are laughing all the way to the bank after Tennis Australia recently caved and announced a significant pay rise for early round losers.
The 27,600 dollars for a first round loser is a 32.7 per cent increase on last year and was brought in to prevent a potential boycott of the prized event.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- Yakub Memon's body handed over to family, tight security in Mumbai
- People storm to watch Salman Khan's 'Bajrangi Bhaijaan' in Pakistan, leave hall teary-eyed