Australian Open final was my worst experience: Rafael Nadal
Madrid: Spanish world No. 1 Rafael Nadal said the Australian Open final, which he lost to Switzerland`s Stanislas Wawrinka, was "the worst hour and a half" he ever spent on a tennis court.
The 27-year-old Nadal, a 13-time Grand Slam champion, said in an interview with the COPE radio network that he planned to return to Davis Cup action to try to help keep Spain in the World Group of tennis` premier international team competition.
"I knew I had no chance of winning (the Australian Open final), but I had no intention of retiring. It was the worst hour and a half that I have spent on a tennis court," Nadal told the Spanish radio network Monday night.
Wawrinka won his first major title by beating Nadal 6-3, 6-2, 3-6, 6-3 in the Australian Open final Jan 26.
Nadal was seeking to become the first man in the Open Era - which began in the late 1960s - to win each of tennis` four biggest titles at least twice.
The Spanish star, who sustained a back injury in the final of the year`s first Grand Slam tournament, said it had been a bit harder to recover from the loss in Melbourne than from other defeats.
"The soul is good. It wouldn`t be right to say I was not well after all the things this life has given me. I am a person that takes losses very well, I always have been, and I really do not think about them anymore after a few hours. This time it`s taking me a little more," Nadal said.
The Spanish star said he had not yet decided whether he would play in next week`s tournament in Buenos Aires.
"I am fine. I underwent another examination today (Monday) and I have continued the same treatment since I returned from Melbourne. I have not yet hit the court or done any exercise, I have been resting and have tried to do the right rehabilitation so I can get back on court as soon as possible, am my goal is to do it Thursday," Nadal said.
Nadal said he planned to play in the Davis Cup if he remained healthy, joining Spain`s team on court in September as it tries to stay in the World Group.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- London terrorist attack leaves five dead, including police officer
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why