Australian Open: Sania-Vesnina lose, Paes-Stepanek reach semis
Melbourne: Leander Paes and his Czech partner Radek Stepanek advanced to the men`s doubles semi-finals at the Australian Open here Wednesday while Sania Mirza and her Russian partner Elena Vesnina missed a great opportunity to make the women`s doubles final.
Sania and Vesnina lost both the first and third sets after being in a commanding position against Russia`s Vera Zvonareva and Svetlana Kuznetsova -- though they won the second easily. In the ultimate analysis, their 51 unforced errors proved their undoing as they went down 6-7(4-7), 6-2, 4-6.
The Indo-Russian pair had more than one opportunity to go 5-2 up in the decider, but unforced errors cost them the match. Earlier, they squandered a chance to wrap up the first set also.
Paes and Stepanek carried on their good form as they strolled to another straight-set victory, this time against the American-Brazilian pair of Eric Butorac and Bruno Soares 6-4, 7-6(7-4).
The Indo-Czech pair will play second seeds Max Mirnyi of Belarus and Canadian Daniel Nestor in the semi-finals.
India`s Mahesh Bhupathi and Rohan Bopanna crashed out in the pre-quarterfinals Sunday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- LIVE: Five nations pull out of SAARC Summit to express solidarity with India over Uri attack
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof