Australian Open: Sania-Vesnina lose, Paes-Stepanek reach semis
Melbourne: Leander Paes and his Czech partner Radek Stepanek advanced to the men`s doubles semi-finals at the Australian Open here Wednesday while Sania Mirza and her Russian partner Elena Vesnina missed a great opportunity to make the women`s doubles final.
Sania and Vesnina lost both the first and third sets after being in a commanding position against Russia`s Vera Zvonareva and Svetlana Kuznetsova -- though they won the second easily. In the ultimate analysis, their 51 unforced errors proved their undoing as they went down 6-7(4-7), 6-2, 4-6.
The Indo-Russian pair had more than one opportunity to go 5-2 up in the decider, but unforced errors cost them the match. Earlier, they squandered a chance to wrap up the first set also.
Paes and Stepanek carried on their good form as they strolled to another straight-set victory, this time against the American-Brazilian pair of Eric Butorac and Bruno Soares 6-4, 7-6(7-4).
The Indo-Czech pair will play second seeds Max Mirnyi of Belarus and Canadian Daniel Nestor in the semi-finals.
India`s Mahesh Bhupathi and Rohan Bopanna crashed out in the pre-quarterfinals Sunday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Outrage over Tanmay Bhatt's video mocking Lata Mangeshkar, Sachin Tendulkar
- VHP's women wing Durga Vahini gives arms training to children!
- Heavy rain disrupts flight operations in Delhi
- MP: Liquor mafia attacks police, journalists with weapons
- Attack on African nationals: Gen VK Singh slammed for his statement
- Check out! Riteish Deshmukh's colourful 'Banjo' poster
- Tamil Nadu: Two children electrocuted, 40 injured as live wire falls on school bus, probe ordered
- Salman Khan – Sanjay Dutt friendship turns sour?
- Storms, lightning and heavy rains in Uttar Pradesh; at least 12 dead
- Shah Rukh Khan's 'Kal Ho Naa Ho' memories strike back!