Australian Open: Sharapova demolishes Dulko in Rd 1
Melbourne: Maria Sharapova marched into the second round of the Australian Open on Tuesday with a ruthless 6-0 6-1 victory over Agrentina's Gisela Dulko in just 58 minutes.
The 24-year-old Russian had been heading for a 'double bagel' 6-0 6-0 victory until she temporarily lost control of her serve in the third game of the second set and was broken.
Dulko, who had beaten Sharapova at Wimbledon in 2009 in their only other meeting, punched the air in delight after winning the game while the crowd on the second show court of Hisense Arena gave her a massive cheer and sustained applause.
Sharapova, however, was not prepared to stay on court any longer than she had to in the intense heat, breaking Dulko's next two service games and while the Argentine had three break points when the fourth seed was serving for the match she was unable to stave off the inevitable.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop good communication skills for a successful life?
- Curfew lifted from 4 districts of Kashmir valley
- Recently launched Pokemon Go gaining extreme popularity among users
- Rajnath Singh meets J&K CM Mehbooba Mufti to discuss current situation in valley
- AAP MLA Amantulla Khan arrested for misbehaving with a woman