Australian Stosur advances to Kremlin Cup quarters
Moscow: Australian tennis player Samantha Stosur advanced to the quarterfinals of the Kremlin Cup here as the seventh seed recorded a 6-4, 6-1 victory over Alize Cornet of France.
Stosur said she was glad to wrap up the match in straight sets Thursday.
"I thought it was going to be a tough one, because we have played long and tiring matches before," Stosur said.
"But I did what I had to do. I made her play more balls when I had a chance to attack deep, so overall it was a pretty solid match."
In the quarterfinal, Stosur will face 2008 French Open champion Ana Ivanovic who beat unseeded Czech Klara Zakopalova, 6-3, 6-1.
Stosur defeated Ivanovic in the semifinals in Moscow last year before falling to Denmark`s Caroline Wozniacki in the final.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened