Australian Stosur advances to Kremlin Cup quarters
Moscow: Australian tennis player Samantha Stosur advanced to the quarterfinals of the Kremlin Cup here as the seventh seed recorded a 6-4, 6-1 victory over Alize Cornet of France.
Stosur said she was glad to wrap up the match in straight sets Thursday.
"I thought it was going to be a tough one, because we have played long and tiring matches before," Stosur said.
"But I did what I had to do. I made her play more balls when I had a chance to attack deep, so overall it was a pretty solid match."
In the quarterfinal, Stosur will face 2008 French Open champion Ana Ivanovic who beat unseeded Czech Klara Zakopalova, 6-3, 6-1.
Stosur defeated Ivanovic in the semifinals in Moscow last year before falling to Denmark`s Caroline Wozniacki in the final.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- Two J&K MLAs clash over beef party issue in Legislative Assembly
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Bihar has to choose between 'jungle raj' and 'vikas Raj': Narendra Modi
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Shocking! Saudi employer chops off Indian maid's hands