Austria reach Davis Cup quarters
London: Croatia, Serbia, Austria and France sealed places in the Davis Cup quarter-finals on Sunday after converting 2-1 overnight leads into winning margins.
While Croatia and Serbia can boast recent triumphs in the team competition, Austria were celebrating a berth in the last eight for the first time in 17 years after Jurgen Melzer secured victory over Russia in Wiener Neustadt.
Ivo Karlovic ended Japan`s hopes in Hyogo when he beat Go Soeda in the deciding fifth rubber after Kei Nishikori had dragged his side level.
Fourth seeded France overcame Canada 4-1 after Jo-Wilfried Tsonga seized an unassailable 3-1 lead when he beat Frank Dancevic 6-4, 6-4, 6-1 in the first of the reverse singles.
Gael Monfils completed the win with a 6-4, 6-4 victory over Vasek Pospisil in the dead rubber.
Holders Spain, Argentina, the United States and the Czech Republic all established winning 3-0 leads Saturday.
Melzer guaranteed Austria an away clash against Spain after finishing off an injury-hit Russia with an emphatic victory against Florida-based Davis Cup rookie Alex Bogomolov.
The Austrian number one needed less than two hours to win the first reverse singles 6-2, 6-4, 6-1.
"I think it was one-way traffic," Melzer told the Davis Cup website.
"I just dominated him after the first three points when he hit three winners. It was close to the performances I had when I was top 10 and I`m really happy for the team we made it.”
"Giving Austria the chance to play a quarter-final against Spain, that was our goal, that`s what we`ve been working for so many years."
Spain, despite fielding a virtual B team, completed a 5-0 drubbing of Kazakhstan in Oviedo.
Serbia, winners of the title in 2010, face a quarter-final against the Czechs, after Janko Tipsarevic claimed the winning point against Sweden Sunday with a 6-2, 7-6, 7-5 win over lowly-ranked Michael Ryderstedt.
Japan, back in the World Group for the first time in 26 years, trailed 2-1 overnight against Croatia but Nishikori levelled the tie with a straight-sets defeat of Ivan Dodig.
The towering Karlovic stood firm for Croatia, however, beating Soeda 7-6, 6-1, 6-4 to send his side through to a quarter-final in Argentina.
"I am really happy because we won and in the end that is the most important," Karlovic, who won all his three matches over the weekend, said. "I was playing well and my serves were really good and it was a really good week for me."
The U.S., who produced the performance of the weekend to beat a Swiss side including 16-times grand slam champion Roger Federer, will meet France.
The Americans completed a 5-0 whitewash over the Swiss.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- DNA: Delhi shop owners express their plight through Zee initiative 'My News'
- Watch: Zee Media mega survey on Modi govt- Part 2
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Jharkhand: Firing during Dhanbad municipal elections, many injured
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- First look: Aamir Khan joins Shah Rukh to promote Salman's ‘Bajrangi Bhaijaan’