Azarenka downs Goerges in Linz final
Linz (Austria): World No.1 Victoria Azarenka defeated Julia Goerges of Germany in straight sets to capture the singles tennis title at the Generali Ladies tournament here Sunday.
The Belarusian needed one hour and 18 minutes to overcome the German player, seeded fifth, 6-3, 6-4 on the hard court.
It was a sixth title for Azarenka this season and her second-straight as she overpowered Maria Sharapova 6-3, 6-1 in the Beijing final last week.
Azarenka won her fourth encounter against Goerges in a row, all of them in straight sets, after dropping the very first one as she retired with a shoulder injury in Stuttgart in April 2011.
The prize fund for the tournament, a warm-up event for the WTA finals in Istanbul later this month, is $220,000.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- RJD strongman Shahabuddin brought to Delhi
- UP elections in third phase; voting on 69 seats of 12 districts
- Panel discussion over why SP government is backing Gayatri Prajapati
- 'BJP is winning by absolute majority in Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections'
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- J&K: 26 soldiers martyred, 22 militants killed as Army steps up security in Valley
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating on 'record' Puma deal
- Virat Kohli becomes first Indian sportsperson to sign Rs 100-crore endorsement deal