Azarenka downs Goerges in Linz final
Linz (Austria): World No.1 Victoria Azarenka defeated Julia Goerges of Germany in straight sets to capture the singles tennis title at the Generali Ladies tournament here Sunday.
The Belarusian needed one hour and 18 minutes to overcome the German player, seeded fifth, 6-3, 6-4 on the hard court.
It was a sixth title for Azarenka this season and her second-straight as she overpowered Maria Sharapova 6-3, 6-1 in the Beijing final last week.
Azarenka won her fourth encounter against Goerges in a row, all of them in straight sets, after dropping the very first one as she retired with a shoulder injury in Stuttgart in April 2011.
The prize fund for the tournament, a warm-up event for the WTA finals in Istanbul later this month, is $220,000.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- How justified is the violence in Gujarat over quota row?-Part 2
- Gujarat quota stir: Exclusive interview with Hardik Patel
- DNA: Sheena Bora's murder case- Know how the mystery unfolded!
- Sheena Bora murder mystery: Eight questions which need to be answered
- Live TV shootout of American journalists shocks the world
- Sheena Bora murder case: All that we know about Indrani Mukherjea
- Pregnant teen buried alive, wakes up in coffin
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukherjea's former husband, Sanjeev Khanna, arrested by Mumbai Police
- How Hardik Patel got offended when asked about Arvind Kejriwal
- Explosive photos and phone conversation – How Mikhail plans to expose Indrani Mukerjea