Azarenka downs Goerges in Linz final
Linz (Austria): World No.1 Victoria Azarenka defeated Julia Goerges of Germany in straight sets to capture the singles tennis title at the Generali Ladies tournament here Sunday.
The Belarusian needed one hour and 18 minutes to overcome the German player, seeded fifth, 6-3, 6-4 on the hard court.
It was a sixth title for Azarenka this season and her second-straight as she overpowered Maria Sharapova 6-3, 6-1 in the Beijing final last week.
Azarenka won her fourth encounter against Goerges in a row, all of them in straight sets, after dropping the very first one as she retired with a shoulder injury in Stuttgart in April 2011.
The prize fund for the tournament, a warm-up event for the WTA finals in Istanbul later this month, is $220,000.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mann Ki Baat: PM Modi pays tribute to Kargil war martyrs
- Parade and hang Tiger, not Yakub: Salman Khan
- India to give fresh dossier to Pakistan on Lakhvi, Dawood, Hafiz
- Salman's controversial tweet on Yakub Memon a 'contempt of court'?
- Veterans serve country but do not get their due, says Anna Hazare
- Watch: Yuvraj Singh takes up Shoaib Malik's challenge, puts on his dancing shoes
- SC to resume hearing on Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's mercy plea on Tuesday
- Lalu Prasad Yadav arrested as RJD bandh cripples life in Bihar
- Exercise, healthy food prevent knee pain in adults with diabetes
- Politicos mourn death of former president APJ Abdul Kalam, hail him as 'Missile Man of India'