Azarenka silences mockers with ruthless demolition
Melbourne: Victoria Azarenka underlined her credentials as an Australian Open contender, if not a crowd favourite, with a ruthless 6-1, 6-0 demolition of local wildcard Casey Dellacqua in the second round on Wednesday.
The Belarussian`s loud grunts inspired a string of mocking imitators in the partisan crowd on Rod Laver Arena but the third seed ignored the jibes to brush aside her opponent in just 57 minutes.
Azarenka, who won the title over a strong field at the Sydney warm-up tournament last week, was simply too sharp, too accurate and too mobile for the 126th ranked Dellacqua.
The 22-year-old, one of four players who could emerge from the year`s first grand slam as world number one, pointed a single finger into the night sky after setting up a third-round meeting with Mona Barthel of Germany.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition extremely grave
- Watch: Tracing the journey of late Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa