Bangalore to host India-Serbia World Group play-off tie
New Delhi: India will face off with formidable Serbia in the Davis Cup World Group play-off tie in Bangalore, it was announced on Monday.
The AITA officials also discussed Delhi as a venue for the crucial play-off tie, to be held from September 12-14, but on the insistence of the players Bangalore was finally selected to host the matches.
It was in Bangalore that India thrashed Indonesia 5-0 last year.
"We consulted the captain and also the players before deciding the host city. Maybe the players like the slow courts there, so they wanted matches in Bangalore," Bharat Oza, AITA Secretary General, told PTI.
India defeated Korea 3-1 in an away Asia/Oceania Group I second round tie to reach the play-off stage while Serbia lost 2-3 to Switzerland in the World Group first round.
The last time India and Serbia clashed was in 2011 when the visitors lost 1-4 in Novi Sad.
It will be humongous task for the struggling Indian side to contain a team, which has top-class players such as World No.2 Novak Djokovic in its rank
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2, Chennai Super Kings vs Royal Challengers Bangalore: Preview
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- CBSE Class X Results 2015 to be announced today?
- Lalu Yadav invites Jitan Ram Manjhi for joint fight against BJP, JD(U) upset
- Littering, defacement to be made punishable offence
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 may not be announced today
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door