Bangalore to host India-Serbia World Group play-off tie
New Delhi: India will face off with formidable Serbia in the Davis Cup World Group play-off tie in Bangalore, it was announced on Monday.
The AITA officials also discussed Delhi as a venue for the crucial play-off tie, to be held from September 12-14, but on the insistence of the players Bangalore was finally selected to host the matches.
It was in Bangalore that India thrashed Indonesia 5-0 last year.
"We consulted the captain and also the players before deciding the host city. Maybe the players like the slow courts there, so they wanted matches in Bangalore," Bharat Oza, AITA Secretary General, told PTI.
India defeated Korea 3-1 in an away Asia/Oceania Group I second round tie to reach the play-off stage while Serbia lost 2-3 to Switzerland in the World Group first round.
The last time India and Serbia clashed was in 2011 when the visitors lost 1-4 in Novi Sad.
It will be humongous task for the struggling Indian side to contain a team, which has top-class players such as World No.2 Novak Djokovic in its rank
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysing the importance of Hindi language in our society
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- IT raids Delhi's Axis bank branch, finds Rs 100 cr deposited in 44 fake accounts
- Demonetisation: Majority of ATMs still out of cash
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- Kapil Sharma is sweating it out! See pics
- This happens only in Pakistan? You won't believe what this boy did in front of his lady teacher - WATCH
- Virat Kohli makes fun of Alastair Cook after England exhaust both DRS wrongly, watch video
- Unseen Video: On Yuvraj Singh, Hazel Keech's wedding reception, MS Dhoni greets couple with a hug