Bangalore to host India-Serbia World Group play-off tie
New Delhi: India will face off with formidable Serbia in the Davis Cup World Group play-off tie in Bangalore, it was announced on Monday.
The AITA officials also discussed Delhi as a venue for the crucial play-off tie, to be held from September 12-14, but on the insistence of the players Bangalore was finally selected to host the matches.
It was in Bangalore that India thrashed Indonesia 5-0 last year.
"We consulted the captain and also the players before deciding the host city. Maybe the players like the slow courts there, so they wanted matches in Bangalore," Bharat Oza, AITA Secretary General, told PTI.
India defeated Korea 3-1 in an away Asia/Oceania Group I second round tie to reach the play-off stage while Serbia lost 2-3 to Switzerland in the World Group first round.
The last time India and Serbia clashed was in 2011 when the visitors lost 1-4 in Novi Sad.
It will be humongous task for the struggling Indian side to contain a team, which has top-class players such as World No.2 Novak Djokovic in its rank
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Explosive photos and phone conversation – How Mikhail plans to expose Indrani Mukerjea
- Arvind Kejriwal in Bihar, shown black flags at Patna airport
- After daughter Sheena, Indrani Mukerjea planned to kill son Mikhail?
- Sheena murder case: Rahul Mukerjea being questioned at undisclosed location
- Sheena Bora was introduced to me as aunt: Indrani Mukerjea-Sanjeev Khanna's daughter Vidhie