Bangalore to host India-Serbia World Group play-off tie
New Delhi: India will face off with formidable Serbia in the Davis Cup World Group play-off tie in Bangalore, it was announced on Monday.
The AITA officials also discussed Delhi as a venue for the crucial play-off tie, to be held from September 12-14, but on the insistence of the players Bangalore was finally selected to host the matches.
It was in Bangalore that India thrashed Indonesia 5-0 last year.
"We consulted the captain and also the players before deciding the host city. Maybe the players like the slow courts there, so they wanted matches in Bangalore," Bharat Oza, AITA Secretary General, told PTI.
India defeated Korea 3-1 in an away Asia/Oceania Group I second round tie to reach the play-off stage while Serbia lost 2-3 to Switzerland in the World Group first round.
The last time India and Serbia clashed was in 2011 when the visitors lost 1-4 in Novi Sad.
It will be humongous task for the struggling Indian side to contain a team, which has top-class players such as World No.2 Novak Djokovic in its rank
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
More from Health
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- Is Akhilesh Yadav seeking votes based on development made by Modi govt?
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- UP polls: Polling for fifth phase of Assembly elections today
- UP polls: PM Modi addresses public rally in Mau
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- WATCH: MS Dhoni rips apart bowlers to smash brilliant 129-run knock in Vijay Hazare Trophy
- WATCH: Chris Gayle hits Saeed Ajmal with three huge back-to-back sixes in PSL