Batra wins silver at IITF Polish Junior and Cadet Open
New Delhi: Promising Indian paddler Manika Batra settled for a silver medal in the girls singles event at the IITF Polish Junior and Cadet Open after losing the summit clash to top seed Japanese Miyu Kato.
The Delhi girl, a surprise finalist and the seventh seed, lost the final 9-11, 11-7, 11-7, 7-11, 6-11, 11-7, 8-11 on Wednesday in Wladyslawowo, Poland.
The 17-year-old Indian had earlier ousted Japanese Ayane Morita and the fifth seed in the penultimate round in seven games.
In the quarterfinals of girls` doubles Japanese pair of Kato and Yui Hamamoto prevailed over Batra and Sutirtha Mukherjee 3-2.
In August 2011 at the ITTF World Tour Chile Open in Santiago, Batra beat London 2012 Olympic Games silver medallist, Kasumi Ishikawa, in the semi-finals of the Under 21 Women’s singles event.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Jhansi police launches ‘Citizen Cop’ android app
- Exclusive chat with Ranchi's visually challenged singer Tumpa Kumari
- Kailash Vijayvargiya on Akshay Singh's death: Is a journalist bigger than me?
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- Shahid Kapoor marriage: 500 guests have been invited for the wedding, says card designer
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K, one BSF jawan killed in Kupwara
- Mass failure in DU exam: HRD Minister Smriti Irani asks officials to enquire