Bellucci retires against Somdev, India level the tie 2-2
Chennai: A dominant Somdev Devvarman led
7-6 (3), 4-0 before Thomaz Bellucci conceded his first reverse
singles match to allow India to level the World Group play-off
tie against Brazil 2-2 here on Sunday.
Ranked 113th, Somdev had the upperhand in the fourth
rubber when the Brazilian world number 27 opted out of
According to the information received so far, Bellucci
encountered some breathing problem due to humid conditions and
was unable to continue.
If Rohan Bopanna beats Ricardo Mello in the fifth and
final rubber later today, India would reclaim a berth in the
elite 16-team World Group.
Both Bopanna and Somdev had lost the singles on the
opening day of the tie on Friday.
Leander Paes and Mahesh Bhupathi kept the Indian chances
alive in the tie by beating Marcelo Melo and Bruno Soares in
Coming into the fourth rubber in a do-or-die situation,
Somdev put up a brave fight against Bellucci, who also looked
in good nick.
Both of them played some engrossing tennis in the first
set but Bellucci seemed uncomfortable in the second set.
After dropping his serve twice, he walked up to net to
shake hands with Somdev and the chair umpire and left the
Unlike the first singles he played against Bopanna,
Bellucci was spot on with his first serve today and played
beautifully throughout the first set.
He had hit six aces only in his two serve games.
Somdev too showed a lot of heart and gave a tough time to
his superior ranked opponent in the intensely fought first
It was Somdev, who got the first break chance in the
ninth game but Bellucci saved all three and the set was
stretched to a tie-breaker after going on serve.
Bellucci`s game started to wither at crucial points as he
double faulted and committed some unforced errors to hand
Somdev a comfortable 5-1 lead.
Somdev latched on the opportunity and closed the set in
his favour after Bellucci sent a forehand long.
However, the match took an unexpected turn when Bellucci
looked out of sorts and finally threw in the towel.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Street food in Delhi contains high levels of faecal matter
- Meet 92-year-old Phyllis Sues who dances toTango
- Watch: ISIS prisoner digging his own grave
- TERI panel finds RK Pachauri guilty in sexual harassment case
- 50 percent refund on Tatkal ticket cancellation
- Priyanka, Ranveer talk about their film 'Dil Dhadakne Do'
- Erstwhile Mysuru kingdom gets new king
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi
- UP: Govt to distribute free sanitary napkins to all girls in school
- DNA: Pentagon report says Beijing accelerates land reclamation in South China Sea
- Delhi HC turns down plea challenging LG Jung's authority
- IIT Madras bans Dalit students forum for 'criticising' PM Modi
- Radioactive nuclear medicine leak detected at Delhi's IGI Airport
- IIT Madras row: Smriti Irani hits back, challenges Rahul Gandhi to a debate
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Delhi HC backs LG, turns down plea challenging Jung's authority
- WB Class 12 (HS) Result 2015 declared on wbresults.nic.in, wbchse.nic.in
- No radioactive leak at IGI airport, say AERB and Delhi govt
- WBCHSE (wbchse.nic.in & wbresults.nic.in): West Bengal Class 12th Result to be declared on May 29
- CBSE (cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in) Class 10th (X Board) Result 2015 declared
- Log on to wbresults.nic.in, wbchse.nic.in for WB Class 12 (HS) Result 2015 WBCHSE
- WBCHSE (wbchse.nic.in & wbresults.nic.in): West Bengal Class 12th Result 2015 to be announced shortly
- CBSE 10th Result 2015: CBSE (cbse.ac.in & cbseresults.ac.in) Class 10 (X Board) Result shortly
- Cbseresults.nic.in working now, check your CBSE Class 10 Board Results 2015
- cbse.nic.in Board Results 2015: CBSE Class 10 Results declared on cbseresults.nic.in
- Watch: Young Sikh boy takes on a bully outside UK school
- Dangerous levels of toxins in Delhi's air as heat and dust intensify
- Twitter war over IIT Madras row: Smriti Irani challenges Rahul Gandhi to debate over any issue, anywhere
- Check out: Salman Khan goes across the border in 'Bajrangi Bhaijaan' teaser