Berdych beats Monfils to snatch Montpellier title
Montpellier: Czech Tomas Berdych claimed his seventh career title when he defeated local favourite Gael Monfils 6-2, 4-6, 6-3 in the final of the Open Sud de France in Montpellier on Sunday.
World number seven Berdych had too much pace for Frenchman Monfils and prevailed in two hours five minutes.
"It was a great three sets, it was very close and I`m happy I was able to do it," top seed Berdych said.
"He is a great player, he knows how to fight on court, but I knew that and I was ready for it."
Monfils, who was the defending champion, admitted the better player had won.
"I tried to return his serves better, to be more aggressive but it is not easy when he steps on to the court," he said.
Berdych took the first set easily but world number 13 Monfils started to move much better in the second.
He opened up a 3-1 lead and although the Czech threatened to level in the eighth game, Monfils held serve to send the match into a decider.
Monfils saw off two break points in the eighth game but conceded the third to let Berdych serve for the match.
The Czech duly delivered, wrapping it up on his first match point with a backhand winner.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Iraqi army inches close to Baghdadi in Mosul- Report
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing
- RBI to issue new Rs 20, Rs 50 notes; old notes to remain legal tender