Berdych booed after controversial win over Almagro
Melbourne: Czech seventh seed Tomas Berdych was booed off Hisense Arena on Sunday after a bad tempered fourth-round victory over Nicolas Almagro at the Australian Open.
Berdych refused to shake hands with the Spaniard after he won the match 4-6, 7-6, 7-6, 7-6 to set up a quarter-final with Rafa Nadal, because he felt the 10th-seeded Almagro had deliberately blasted a return at his head during the fourth set.
The ball rebounded off Berdych`s arm and over the net which Amalgro put away for the point, and while the Spaniard apologized immediately, the Czech was still incensed at the conclusion of the three hour, 54 minute match.
Berdych`s courtside interview was drowned out by the crowd booing and hissing, while tennis coach Brad Gilbert said he was appalled at the Czech`s decision.
"Really poor of the Birdman not to shake hands with Nico," Gilbert wrote on his Twitter page.
"He was way wrong... I am stunned with Tomas."
Nothing had really separated the pair as they hammered away for the match with the only difference in the tiebreaks when Berdych won the crucial points.
Such was the tightness of the match, Berdych won a total of 161 points, compared to Almagro`s 145 while Almagro actually converted two break opportunities to Berdych`s one.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Serial child rapist arrested in Delhi, says 'preyed on girls for sexual satisfaction, enjoyed it'