Bhambri stuns fourth seed Kretschmer; enters ITF finals
Mumbai: Davis cupper Yuki Bhambri, who stunned top-seed Karan Rastogi in the semi-finals, caused a flutter yet again as he scalped fourth seed Gero Kretschmer of Germany in straight sets to storm into the final of the CCI -ITF USD 15,000 Men`s Futures Tennis Tournament.
Ranked 491 in the ATP rankings, Bhambri overcame a strong challenge from the 414-ranked German to fashion a 7-6 (7-5), 6-3 win in a hard-fought match that lasted two and a quarter hours at the Cricket Club of India (CCI).
Bhambri will face former Davis Cupper and seventh seed Roko Karanusic in the final after the Croatian, who shunted out third seed Vishnu Vardhan of India and is making a gradual comeback after a two-year injury-hit lay-off, shocked second seed Adam Kellner of Hungary 6-4, 6-3 in the second semi-final that lasted 75 minutes.
Favourite Kretschmer added power behind his strokes to enjoy early domination as he led 4-2 in the first set after earning a break in the third game.
But just when Kretschmer`s confidence began to grow and he dared to play his shots, the gutsy Bhambri broke back in the eighth to level at 4-4, before holding serve and snatching the lead for the first time at 5-4.
Thereafter games went with serve which forced the set into a tie-breaker, where Bhambri sailed to a crucial 6-3 lead and held on to take the opening set.
The advantage did wonders to the Indian`s confidence as he surged to a 4-1 lead in the second set with breaks in the first and third games that surprised his opponent.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400