Bhupathi-Bopanna in final of Dubai Open
Dubai: Mahesh Bhuapthi and Rohan Bopanna, who need to improve their rankings to earn a direct entry into the London Olympics, stormed into the summit clash of the ATP Dubai Open with a straight set win, on Friday.
Fourth seeded Indian pair of Bhupathi and Bopanna edged past the giant killing Austrian pair of Julian Knowle and Alexanderin Peya 7-6 (2), 7-6 (7) in the semi-finals of the USD 1,700,475 hard court event.
Knowle and Peya had shocked top seeded pair of Michael Llodra and Nenad Zimonjic in the quarter-finals.
Either Bopanna, ranked 11th or Bhupathi (15) need to be in top-10 in the ATP doubles ranking to have a direct entry in the Olympics competition.
A top-10 player has the liberty to choose his partner, irrespective of his ranking.
The unseeded pair of Leander Paes and Tipsarevic has already exited from the tournament after a 4-6, 5-7 defeat in the first round against second seeds Robert Lindstedt and Horia Teacu.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi
- Delhi government bans Chinese firecrackers for this Diwali