Bhupathi-Bopanna in semis, Sania-Bethanie bow out in Rome
Rome: Mahesh Bhupathi and Rohan Bopanna reached the semifinals of the Rome Masters after getting a walkover from rivals Tomas Berdych and Radek Stepanek even as Sania Mizra and Bethanie Mattek-Sands crashed out of the women`s event, here.
Berdych, who shocked world number one Novak Djokovic in the men`s singles in a gruelling three-setter, cited muscle fatigue as the reason for him withdrawing.
Bhupathi and Bopanna will now fight it out with Mexico`s Santiago Gonzalez and American Scott Lipsky for a place in the final.
Gonzalez and Lipsky came from a set down to upset second seeded Spaniards Marcel Granollers and Marc Lopez 1-6, 6-4, 10-6 in their quarter-finals.
Meanwhile, Sania and Bethanie`s campaign ended in the women`s doubles after their 4-6, 3-6 defeat against top seeds and local favourites Sara Errani and Roberta Vinci.
The Indo-American pair lost in one hour and 15 minutes as they squandered six of the nine break chances.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dadri lynching: Is Kejriwal spreading poison between Hindus and Muslims?
- Muslims asked to sprinkle cow urine on body in order to be part of Garba festivities
- Congress workers blow up pigeons by blasting them inside rockets
- Dadri lynching: Rahul Gandhi reaches Dadri, meets victim Iqlakh's family
- Dadri lynching: Prime accused's father refutes allegations; says son is innocent
- Indrani Mukerjea's FSL report rules out drug overdose, says no chemicals found in stomach wash
- Indrani Mukerjea regains consciousness, out of danger, says hospital
- Russia bombs ISIS headquarters in Syria, video goes viral on internet - Watch
- In Pics: Indian Super League 2015 opening ceremony!
- Dadri lynching case: Sadhvi Prachi makes provocative remark, says beef-eaters deserve such fate