Bhupathi-Bopanna in semis, Sania-Bethanie bow out in Rome
Rome: Mahesh Bhupathi and Rohan Bopanna reached the semifinals of the Rome Masters after getting a walkover from rivals Tomas Berdych and Radek Stepanek even as Sania Mizra and Bethanie Mattek-Sands crashed out of the women`s event, here.
Berdych, who shocked world number one Novak Djokovic in the men`s singles in a gruelling three-setter, cited muscle fatigue as the reason for him withdrawing.
Bhupathi and Bopanna will now fight it out with Mexico`s Santiago Gonzalez and American Scott Lipsky for a place in the final.
Gonzalez and Lipsky came from a set down to upset second seeded Spaniards Marcel Granollers and Marc Lopez 1-6, 6-4, 10-6 in their quarter-finals.
Meanwhile, Sania and Bethanie`s campaign ended in the women`s doubles after their 4-6, 3-6 defeat against top seeds and local favourites Sara Errani and Roberta Vinci.
The Indo-American pair lost in one hour and 15 minutes as they squandered six of the nine break chances.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- If India was intolerant, then Kiran Rao wouldn't have married Aamir Khan: Baba Ramdev
- Watch: Chicago cop shoots a 17-year-old black man 16 times
- Army camp attacked in J&K's Kupwara; three JeM terrorists, one civilian killed
- Aamir Khan's remarks on intolerance stir controversy; BJP slams, film fraternity split