Bhupathi-Bopanna knock out top seeds to make semis
Rome: The Indian pair of Mahesh Bhupathi and Rohan Bopanna knocked off top-seeded Max Mirnyi and Daniel Nestor 6-4, 7-5 in the Internazionali BNL d`Italia tennis meet to move into the semi-finals.
The pair from India won 79 per cent of their service points, and converted a break of serve in each set to wrap up their quarterfinal tie in 70 minutes Friday.
Bhupathi and Bopanna, coming off a semi-final showing at the Mutua Madrid Open last week, are aiming to win their second title of the season after triumphing at the Dubai Duty Free Tennis Championships.
In the semi-finals, Bhupathi and Bopanna will play Marcel Granollers and Marc Lopez. The Spanish duo upset third seeds Michael Llodra and Nenad Zimonjic 6-4, 6-2, capitalising on four of seven break point opportunities to advance in 72 minutes.
Lukasz Kubot and Janko Tipsarevic moved through to the final four, handing Bob Bryan and Mike Bryan their second straight quarter-final defeat at the ATP World Tour Masters 1000 event with a 6-4, 6-4 victory.
Kubot and Tipsarevic, teaming up for the second time this season, won 79 per cent of their first serve points to beat the two-time champions in 72 minutes. The Polish-Serbian tandem will look to reach their first final together when they take on fourth seeds Robert Lindstedt and Horia Tecau, who avenged their Madrid final defeat to Mariusz Fyrstenberg and Marcin Matkowski with a 6-2, 1-6, 12-10 win.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor