Bhupathi-Bopanna makes a winning start, Sania-Elena loses
Miami: Indian pair of Mahesh Bhupathi and Rohan Bopanna made it to the second round of the Miami Masters after getting the better of Austria`s Jurgen Melzer and Briton Jamie Murray.
The sixth seeded Indian duo overcame their opponents 7-5 6-3 in the the opening round of the USD 3,973,050 hard-court event in little over an hour.
Bhupathi and Bopanna saved all the three breakpoints that Melzer and Murray got, while converted two of the six chances they themselves got.
The Indian combo also managed to win a total of 63 points as compared to 49 won by their Austrian-British pair.
Bhupathi and Bopanna will now take on Spaniards Marcel Granollers and Rafael Nadal.
Meanwhile, Sania Mirza and her Russian partner Elena Vesnina lost to Anastasia Pavlyuchenkova of Russia and Czech Republic`s Lucie Safarova 6-1 1-6 9-11 in the first round.
Pavlyuchenkova and Safarova took an hour and six minutes to down Sania-Vesnina.
The third seeded Indo-Russian pair did well to win the first set but Czech-Russian combo saved as many as six out of the nine breakpoints to push the former on to the back foot.
Earlier, Leander Paes and his Czech partner Radek Stepanek also crossed the first round hurdle after defeating Marcos Baghdatis and Sam Querrey.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Pakistan cancels licenses of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed and his aides
- DNA: How India became world's largest arms importer
- BMC election 2017 results LIVE: Shiv Sena leading in 50 seats, BJP in 32; big prestige battle for both parties
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Maharashtra Civic Election Results 2017 LIVE: Shiv Sena ahead in Mumbai and Thane, BJP gains lead in Pune, Nagpur, Solapur; NCP wins 4 seats in Ulhasnagar