Bhupathi-Bopanna out from AEGON Championships
London: It was a bad day in office for the Indians as the pair of Mahesh Bhupathi and Rohan Bopanna, and Leander Paes and his new South African partner, Kevin Anderson crashed out of the AEGON Championships after losing their respective matches.
While Bhupathi and Bopanna lost their quarterfinal match to Max Mirnyi of Belarus and Canada`s Daniel Nestor, 7-6(7) 6-4, Paes and Anderson failed to clear the second round hurdle, going down to the Serbian pair of Janko Tipsarevic and Nenad Zimonjic, 6-2 4-6 7-10.
The Belarussian- Canadian pair took an hour and 13 minutes to down the fifth seeded Indian duo.
While the Bhupathi-Bopanna combo failed to convert any of the three breakpoints they got, they could manage to save as many as nine out of 10 that their opponents got.
It was just one breakpoint that the World No. 1 and recent Roland Garros winners Mirnyi and Nestor could use to their advantage and that helped them seal the match in their favour. They did not drop serve during the match.
The unseeded duo of Paes and Anderson, who had come from a set down to beat Frenchmen Julien Benneteau and Nicolas Mahut 6-7(1) 7-5 10-5 in the first round yesterday, failed to carry the momentum in the next match of the day.
Even as the Indian-South African pair started off well to win the first set comfortably, 6-2, the seventh seeded Serbian combo proved to be too strong for them in the next two sets.
The battle lasted an hour and nine minutes before the Serbians sailed into the quarterfinals of the competition.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Congress workers blow up pigeons by blasting them inside rockets
- Indian Army 5th deadliest in the world: Report
- Beef row: Lalu Prasad Yadav contradicts his statements
- Lalu Yadav's son Tejasvi Yadav wants to change the face of Bihar education
- Indrani Mukerjea attains consciousness; is now out of danger
- Is Salman Khan - Aamir Khan friendship over?
- Parrikar hits out at Nawaz Sharif, says India doesn't need advice about troops in Siachen
- Prefer to ignore what Nawaz Sharif said at UN, says Manohar Parrikar
- Congressmen tie pigeon inside rocket to welcome their leader – A must watch for Rahul Gandhi
- Neither Dadri nor Babri: India is 'Muslim woman delivering 'Ganesha' inside temple'