Bhupathi-Sania ousted from Australian Open mixed doubles
Melbourne: The Indian pair of Sania Mirza and Mahesh Bhupathi crashed out of the Australian Open after suffering an upset straight sets defeat in the mixed doubles semifinal on Friday.
The sixth seeded Sania-Bhupathi`s campaign ended after they lost 3-6 3-6 to the eighth seeded combo of Bethanie Mattek-Sands of the United States and Romania`s Horia Tecau in just 68 minutes at the Rod Laver Arena.
Although the match was a closely-contested affair but the American-Romanian duo played better as far as the crucial points were concerned. The Indians could hit only 17 winners as compared to 24 by their opponents.
In the opening set, the Indians managed to convert the only one breakpoint of three that they got, besides losing their serve on two occasions to hand their opponents the advantage.
The second set was on serve till 3-3 but the eighth seeds broke Sania and Bhupathi to go up 4-3 and then hold their serve to make it 5-3.
The Indians once again failed to keep their serve and the opponents claimed their second consecutive break to book a place in the final.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajinikanth's 'Kabali' releases early morning at 6 am in Mumbai!
- Jharkhand: Zee Media honors ten environmentalists with Green Warrior Award
- DNA: Why nationalist reporting trigger protest in Gurez valley?
- DNA: Why nationalist reporting trigger protest in Gurez valley? - Part II
- DNA: Why nationalist reporting trigger protest in Gurez valley? - Part III
- Gujarat Dalit protest: After Rahul, Kejriwal to visit violence-hit Una today
- PM Narendra Modi to lay foundation stone of AIIMS in Gorakhpur today
- Rajya Sabha to vote on bill seeking 'special status' for Andhra Pradesh today
- 'Bunty Chor' - Delhi's high-end car thief arrested; BMW, Toyota Fortuner recovered
- Mayawati slur: Dayashankar Singh may surrender today; wife alleges harassment by BSP goons