Bopanna and Qureshi lift Paris Masters
Paris: Rohan Bopanna Aisam-ul-Haq Qureshi won their first ever ATP Masters tournament after whipping away the challenge of Julien Benneteau and Nicolas Mahut in straight sets in the final on Sunday.
The seventh seeded Indo-Pak pair took just 65 minutes to defeat the French wild cards entries 6-2, 6-4 and pocket their third title of the season.
They had won the Gerry Weber Open at Halle and the Stockholm Open before this event.
Bopanna and Qureshi, who have already qualified for the season finale in London, earned 1000 ranking points each and split euro 134,500 as prize money.
Bopanna and Qureshi created chances in a jiffy and broke their rivals in the third and fifth games to open up a comprehensive 4-1 lead in the opening set within 20 minutes into the match.
Twice they were down 0-30 but did not lose control over the set and comfortably sealed it.
Benneteau and Mahut, who had shocked top seeds Mike and Bob Bryan en route to the final, gave a better account of themselves in the second set but could not stop the in-form Indo-Pak Express from lifting the title.
A good battle followed in the second set as the two pairs were locked 4-4.
But Bopanna and Qureshi broke Mahut when the Frechman committed his second double fault in the ninth game, sixth overall, to offer a break chance.
The Indo-Pak Express then served out the match in the next game after a few anxious moments.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing