Bopanna, Begemann shock top seeds in Citi Open
Washington: Rohan Bopanna and his new German partner Andre Begemann knocked out the top seeded pair of Alexendra Peya and Bruno Soares to storm into the quarterfinals of the ATP 500 Citi Open, here.
Bopanna, playing with his eighth partner of the season, shocked the top seeds 6-2 6-7(4) 10-5 in the opening round of the USD 1,295,790 hard court event.
They next face Treat Huey of Philippines and Briton Dominic Inglot in the quarter-finals.
Riding on two breaks, the unseeded Bopanna and Begemann easily pocketed the first set but their rivals fought back in the second.
Peya and Soares saved all the seven break chances they faced in the second set and succeeded in stretching the match to the tie-breaker.
However, Bopanna and Begemann regrouped and prevailed in the match tie-breaker. They won 77 points to the 58 by their rivals.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- Zee Media exclusive interview with victim of Uber molestation
- Maggi samples found unsafe: Delhi government
- DNA: Analysis of Vijay Mallya's 'fund transfer formula'
- IMD forecasts 'deficient' Monsoon, drought-like conditions expected
- Was asked to call Sunanda Pushkar’s death `natural`: AIIMS doctor
- Maggi row: Delhi registers case against Nestle, Kerala withdraws stock from govt stores
- Rahul Gandhi hails BR Ambedkar, takes potshot at Modi-led NDA govt over IIT Madras row
- From being the ‘Dabangg’ girl to ‘Akira’ - Sonakshi Sinha’s journey so far
- China ship carrying 458 on board sinks in Yangtze River: Five dead, hundreds missing