Bopanna, Bhupathi to clash in semis of Dubai ATP event
Dubai: Long time friends Rohan Bopanna and Mahesh Bhupathi set up the semi-final clash of the Dubai Tennis Championships against each other after winning quarter-finals with their respective partners, here on Thursday.
Unseeded Bopanna and Ram hit seven aces and converted one of seven break point opportunities to beat Victor Hanescu and Lukas Rosol 4-6, 7-5, 10-4 in 79 minutes.
Later in the day, Bhupathi and Llodra also came from behind to oust the fourth seeded pair of Mariusz Fyrstenberg and Marcin Matkowski 4-6 6-4 10-8 in a fiercely fought match.
The first set was on serve till Bhupathi and Llodra were broken in the 10th game while serving to stay in the match.
However, they came back strong as they broke the rivals in the third game of the second set and then took a 3-1 lead.
The break stayed with them and Bhupathi served out the set in the 10th game to take the match into a Super Tie-breaker.
In the match tie-breaker also they rallied as they were down 0-2 but finally converted their third match point to clinch the issue.
The result means that at least one at least one Indian will compete for the title in the summit clash.
Somdev Devvarman had bowed out of the singles event after suffering defeat at the hands of world number seven Argentine Jual Martin del Potro.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- IND vs AUS, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...
- BMC poll results: Shiv Sena approaches Congress for pact, party says 'not interested'
- Indian man Srinivas Kuchibhotla shot dead in Kansas bar while watching basketball game - Know what happened