Bouchard topples Jankovic to reach semis
New York: Sixth seeded Eugenie Bouchard booked her spot in the semi-finals by toppling former champion Jelena Jankovic 6-3, 4-6, 6-3 at the WTA Tour`s Family Circle Cup tournament on Friday.
The 20-year-old Canadian outlasted second seed Jankovic in a rematch from last year`s quarter-finals at this event. Jankovic won that one but has now lost two out of three matches against Bouchard.
Bouchard blasted two aces and won 65 percent of her first serve points in the two hour and two minute match at the claycourt tournament.
Jankovic, who won this event in 2007, had one double fault and won just seven of 19 points on her second serve.
Sixth seeded Bouchard has rocketted up the rankings in the past year. The world number 20 was ranked 114th when she lost at this event to Jankovic in 2013.
This is Bouchard`s second semi-final of the year after reaching the semis of the Australian Open.
Bouchard advanced to the quarter-finals by beating former world number one Venus Williams 7-6 (8/6), 2-6, 6-4.
Jankovic defeated big-hitting Croatian Ajla Tomljanovic 7-5, 6-1 to set up a meeting with Bouchard.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- Pak High Commission staffer grilled for spying, asked to leave India
- Panel discussion on the need of Pakistan's ambassador in India
- Ceasefire violations by Pak: Should India carry out surgical strike part-II?
- DNA: Zee Media's campaign to celebrate Diwali with soldier's family
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- Pakistan declares Indian High Commission official persona non grata, asks him to leave country
- Diwali 2016: Dhanteras Puja timings, Tithi and Vidhi
- UPA govt thought of attacking Lashkar HQ, training camps after 26/11 strike, claims ex-NSA Shivshankar Menon