Bouchard topples Jankovic to reach semis
New York: Sixth seeded Eugenie Bouchard booked her spot in the semi-finals by toppling former champion Jelena Jankovic 6-3, 4-6, 6-3 at the WTA Tour`s Family Circle Cup tournament on Friday.
The 20-year-old Canadian outlasted second seed Jankovic in a rematch from last year`s quarter-finals at this event. Jankovic won that one but has now lost two out of three matches against Bouchard.
Bouchard blasted two aces and won 65 percent of her first serve points in the two hour and two minute match at the claycourt tournament.
Jankovic, who won this event in 2007, had one double fault and won just seven of 19 points on her second serve.
Sixth seeded Bouchard has rocketted up the rankings in the past year. The world number 20 was ranked 114th when she lost at this event to Jankovic in 2013.
This is Bouchard`s second semi-final of the year after reaching the semis of the Australian Open.
Bouchard advanced to the quarter-finals by beating former world number one Venus Williams 7-6 (8/6), 2-6, 6-4.
Jankovic defeated big-hitting Croatian Ajla Tomljanovic 7-5, 6-1 to set up a meeting with Bouchard.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- Jharkhand's Health Minister slaps political rival in public
- One Rank, One Pension: What is complicating its implementation? Part-2
- India's second deadliest heatwave kills more than 2000 people
- My News: People forced to pay for govt water tankers in Sangam Vihar
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj
- Salman, Aamir, Shah Rukh in a film together?
- Even 100 Rahul Gandhis cannot match PM Narendra Modi's mega wave: Shiv Sena
- Anti-minority remarks by Sangh Parivar leaders 'uncalled for': Narendra Modi