Bouchard topples Jankovic to reach semis
New York: Sixth seeded Eugenie Bouchard booked her spot in the semi-finals by toppling former champion Jelena Jankovic 6-3, 4-6, 6-3 at the WTA Tour`s Family Circle Cup tournament on Friday.
The 20-year-old Canadian outlasted second seed Jankovic in a rematch from last year`s quarter-finals at this event. Jankovic won that one but has now lost two out of three matches against Bouchard.
Bouchard blasted two aces and won 65 percent of her first serve points in the two hour and two minute match at the claycourt tournament.
Jankovic, who won this event in 2007, had one double fault and won just seven of 19 points on her second serve.
Sixth seeded Bouchard has rocketted up the rankings in the past year. The world number 20 was ranked 114th when she lost at this event to Jankovic in 2013.
This is Bouchard`s second semi-final of the year after reaching the semis of the Australian Open.
Bouchard advanced to the quarter-finals by beating former world number one Venus Williams 7-6 (8/6), 2-6, 6-4.
Jankovic defeated big-hitting Croatian Ajla Tomljanovic 7-5, 6-1 to set up a meeting with Bouchard.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- No trace of IAF's AN-32 aircraft and survivors
- Rio Olympics 2016: NADA to take decision on Narsingh Yadav's fate today
- Intruder who ‘spiked’ wrestler Narsingh Yadav’s food identified: Sources
- China increases soldiers at Ladakh's Pangong Lake
- Madhya Pradesh: Two women assaulted at railway station for carrying beef