Bryan brothers keep US Davis Cup hopes alive
Madrid:The doubles pairing of Mike and Bob Bryan kept the American hopes alive of reaching the Davis Cup final as they achieved a hard-fought win over the Spanish pairing of Marcel Granollers and Marc Lopez.
The Bryan brothers went into the game Saturday knowing that defeat would qualify the Spanish for the final following Friday`s wins for David Ferrer and Nicolas Almagro in the first two singles pairings, according to reports from a news agency
They American twins won the first set 6-3, before Granollers and Lopez hit back to take the second 3-6.
The third set was a tense affair and looked set to go to a tiebreak before the Bryans broke serve in the final game and they then came down from 4-1 down in the fourth set to claim it 7-5 and win the match 6-3, 3-6, 7-5, 7-5 in three hours and 39 minutes.
Sunday sees the final two singles matches and with Ferrer and Almagro on form, Spain are still favourites to reach the final where they would play with Argentina or the Czech Republic.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened