CCI-ITF Junior Tennis: Kamran to meet Nidhi in semis
Mumbai: Sixth seed Kamran Kaur on thursday stormed into the girls` semi-finals of the CCI-ITF junior tennis tournament, ousting third seed Nermeet Shawky in straight sets here.
Six-foot-tall Delhi girl humbled her Egyptian rival 6-3 6-3 in the quarter-finals.
The 15-year-old Kamran, ranked sixth nationally, will meet compatriot Nidhi Surapaneni on friday for a place in the final.
Nidhi, nationally ranked 222, ended Mumbai girl Mihika Yadav`s good run after a well-fought three-setter.
After the rivals shared the first two sets, Nidhi broke Mihika at a crucial stage to emerge winner 6-3 5-7 6-4.
The other semi final will see Ukraine`s Anastasiya Klymenko lining up against fifth seed Indian girl Sanjana Sudhir, who ousted her compatriot Devanshi Bhimjiyani in straight sets.
In an all-India boys` quarter-final, Paramveer Singh Bajwa mixed top spin drives with sliced backhand to have Prajwal Dev in all sorts of trouble as he beat him 7-5 6-3 in 45 minutes.
Bajwa would take on giant-killer Chanudom Wiriyajanyong in the semis following the left-handed Thai`s stunning 6-3 6-3 upset win over top seed Alexey Prokopchuk of Ukraine in another quarter-final that saw the No.1 ranked player commit far too many unforced errors.
Third seed Chak Pong Lam of Hong Kong was given a fright by fifth-seeded Indian rival Ravikumar Ballekere before the former came through 6-3 5-7 6-2.
The results: Boys singles (Quarter-finals): Chanudom Wiriyajanyong (Thai) bt (1) Alexey Prokopchuk (UKR) 6-3 6-3; Paramveer Bajwa bt S D Prajwal Dev 7-5 6-3; Chak Pong Lam (HKG) (3) bt Ravikumar Ballekere (5) 6-3, 5-7, 6-2; (2) Sharmal Dissanayake (SRI) bt Sanil Jagtiani 6-4 6-4.
Girls singles (Quarter-finals): Nidhi Surapaneni bt Mihika Yadav 6-3 5-7 6-4; (6) Karman Kaur Thandi bt (3) Nermeen Shawky (EGPT) 6-3 6-3; Anastasiya Klymenko (UKR) bt (7) Yinglak Jittqkoat ((Thai)6-4, 6-3; (5) Sanjana Sudhir bt Devanshi Bhimjiyani 7-5 6-3.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Congress workers blow up pigeons by blasting them inside rockets
- Beef row: Lalu Prasad Yadav contradicts his statements
- Lalu Yadav's son Tejasvi Yadav wants to change the face of Bihar education
- Indian Army 5th deadliest in the world: Report
- Indrani Mukerjea attains consciousness; is now out of danger
- Indrani Mukerjea regains consciousness, out of danger, says hospital
- Is Salman Khan - Aamir Khan friendship over?
- Dadri lynching case: Sadhvi Prachi makes provocative remark, says beef-eaters deserve such fate
- Modi must be punished, he has cheated people: Ram Jethmalani
- Was Giani Zail Singh planning to topple Rajiv Gandhi govt in 1987?