Cepelova shocks Serena at Family Circle
Charleston: Top-ranked Serena Williams suffered a shock 6-4 6-4 loss to Slovakia`s world number 78 Jana Cepelova in the second round of the Family Circle Cup on Tuesday.
The world number one and defending champion lost the first five games and never recovered.
"Obviously things didn`t go great out there, but she was a great counterpuncher today and hit a lot of balls back," Williams told reporters.
"I really knew nothing about her game going into the match, so she played a really good match against me today. And it just wasn`t my day," added Williams.
The 20-year-old Cepelova had never beaten a top 15 player but held her nerve to pull off the biggest win of her career.
Williams, a 17-time grand slam champion, won the Sony Open on Saturday and had been on a roll coming to Charleston, South Carolina where she was a three-time champion.
Her sister Venus also had problems in her opening round match, losing seven consecutive games at one point, but recovered to beat Barbora Zahlavova 6-3 0-6 7-5.
Venus, who won the event in 2004, said she had been under the weather recently.
"I`ve actually been pretty sick lately, so it was a little rough out there today," she said. "I just kept fighting till the end."
In other early-round action, sixth seed Eugenie Bouchard breezed past Alla Kudryavtseva 6-2 6-0, while Australian seventh seed Samantha Stosur overcame a stiff challenge from Yaroslava Shvedova in a 6-3 5-7 6-1 triumph.
Eighth seed Sorana Cirstea was upset by Teliana Pereira in a 3-6 6-3 7-6(0) defeat.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- India vs New Zealand: Awestruck Kiwis witness MS Dhoni driving his Hummer in Ranchi, and photo goes viral
- Lashkar-e-Toiba claims responsibility for Uri attack in posters pasted in Pakistan town
- Naya Bazar explosion: Home Ministry seeks report from Delhi Police; one dead, 5 injured