China Open: Serena Williams breezes past Caroline Wozniacki to reach semis
Beijing: Serena Williams brushed aside former world number one Caroline Wozniacki 6-1, 6-4 to advance to the semi-finals of the China Open on Friday.
The top-seeded American, who has won more than USD 9 million in prize money in 2013, broke Wozniacki twice to breeze through the first set in 26 minutes.
Williams continued her dominance in the second set, breaking Wozniacki in the first and third games to go up 4-0. The Dane fought back, closing the gap to 4-3, but it was not enough to stop Williams from winning the set 6-4.
"I felt I played really well tonight, especially in the first set," Williams told reporters. "I played well in the second set too, but I think Caroline just played so much better and she lifted her game so much.
"But I think overall it was the best performance I`ve had this week, which I`m excited about."
Third-seeded Agnieszka Radwanska will be up next for Williams, who took her number of wins in 2013 to 71.
Ninth-seeded Czech Petra Kvitova broke the hearts of the crowd when she rallied to beat home favourite Li Na, seeded fourth, 4-6, 6-2, 6-4.
The former Wimbledon champion set up a semi-final date with Serbian Jelena Jankovic, who won a two-hour, 36-minute match against Czech Lucie Safarova 6-7(3), 6-4, 6-4.
Radwanska, who has never beaten Williams in their previous six meetings, defeated seventh-seeded German Angelique Kerber 7-6(7), 6-4 to complete the semi-final line-up.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Discussion on Rahul Gandhi's involvement in AgustaWestland chopper scam
- Discussion on Rahul Gandhi's involvement in AgustaWestland chopper scam - Part II
- Discussion on Rahul Gandhi's involvement in AgustaWestland chopper scam -Part III
- Discussion on Rahul Gandhi's involvement in AgustaWestland chopper scam - Part IV
- DNA : Why BJP is linking Rahul Gandhi to AgustaWestland scam
- Ravi Rampaul reveals shocking reason for not being picked in West Indian team
- IPL 2016, Match 31: GL vs DD - As it happened...
- Jacqueline Fernandez keeps mystery alive on her relationship status
- Mamata Banerjee trying to influence polls with police help: CPI-M
- 63rd National Film Awards: Amitabh Bachchan, Kangana Ranaut receive top honours