China Open: Serena Williams pummels Caroline Wozniacki to reach semis
Beijing: Serena Williams brushed aside former world number one Caroline Wozniacki 6-1 6-4 to advance to the semi-finals of the China Open on Friday.
The top-seeded American, who has won more than $9 million in prize money in 2013, broke Wozniacki twice to breeze through the first set in 26 minutes.
Williams continued her dominance in the second set, breaking Wozniacki in the first and third games to go up 4-0. The Dane fought back, closing the gap to 4-3, but it was not enough to stop Williams from winning the set 6-4.
"I felt I played really well tonight, especially in the first set," Williams told reporters. "I played well in the second set too, but I think Caroline just played so much better and she lifted her game so much.
"But I think overall it was the best performance I`ve had this week, which I`m excited about."
Third-seeded Agnieszka Radwanska will be up next for Williams, who took her number of wins in 2013 to 71.
Ninth-seeded Czech Petra Kvitova broke the hearts of the crowd when she rallied to beat home favourite Li Na, seeded fourth, 4-6 6-2 6-4.
The former Wimbledon champion set up a semi-final date with Serbian Jelena Jankovic, who won a two-hour, 36-minute match against Czech Lucie Safarova 6-7(3) 6-4 6-4.
Radwanska, who has never beaten Williams in their previous six meetings, defeated seventh-seeded German Angelique Kerber 7-6(7) 6-4 to complete the semi-final line-up.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Valour of a soldier: CRPF officer Satwant Singh fights Naxals till his last breath
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- Virat Kohli's 'shot of the year' already has a big challenger – See video to believe!
- WATCH: Dope-tainted Brock Lesnar causes carnage on return to WWE Raw ahead of Royal Rumble