China`s Li notches hard-fought victory at Shenzhen
Beijing: Chinese superstar Li Na battled her way to yet another victory on Thursday, downing Romania`s Monica Niculescu after three action-filled sets in the women`s singles quarter-final of the Shenzhen Open.
Li, Asia`s highest-ranking player in tennis history, opened strongly, besting Niculescu 7-5 in the first set.
The 26-year-old Romanian fought back with a 6-4 win in the second set, before Li toppled her with a third-set, 6-4 victory.
Li, 31, is the defending Shenzhen Open champion and is also the world number three player.
Her success has sparked a new Chinese interest in tennis as well as a swell of national pride. China`s state broadcaster CCTV this week named her rise its number two sports story of 2013.
China notched another victory on Thursday as fifth-seed Peng Shuai soared to victory over Slovakia`s Jana Cepelova 6-3 6-2.
American Vania King bested Barbora Zahlavova Strycova of the Czech Republic 6-2 6-4, while eight-seed Annika Beck of Germany came back from an initial 3-6 loss to triumph over Austria`s Patricia Mayr-Achleitner in the final two sets, 6-3 6-1.
In the semi-final doubles, Niculescu and Klara Zakopalova of the Czech Republic had their second straight victory of the week, taking down China`s Wang Yafan and Zheng Jie 6-3 6-4.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kalam's advisor recalls his last moments with the great scientist
- To Sir with Love: School kids pay tribute to Dr Kalam
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- India mourns APJ Abdul Kalam; PM to receive body at Palam airport
- Kalam's body flown to Delhi; PM, Prez lead nation in paying homage
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- SC hearing on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's curative plea
- India's 'original rocket man': Abdul Kalam's phenomenal contribution to Science
- Parliament pays tributes to Dr APJ Abdul Kalam, calls him 'real gem' of India
- Ready to see Shah Rukh-Salman together on-screen?