Chinese players advance at World TT
Paris: China`s table tennis team showed its dominance in the World Championships as all of their players advanced in the competition.
With the worlds entering the third day`s competition, there is not a single Chinese player facing serious challenge and they passed a very clear message that the sport remains their domain.
Zhang Jike launched his title defence in style beating Sweden`s Fabian Akerstrom in straight sets. The gold medallist at the London Olympics won 11-5, 11-1, 12-10, 11-7 over the 321st-ranked opponent Wednesday.
His Chinese teammate Ma Lin, the Olympic champion in 2008, also advanced after eliminating local player Christophe Legout without conceding a game.
The other three Chinese stars Xu Xin, the top seed, and Ma Long, the World Cup winner, all reached the second round with straight-set victories.
Wang Hao, whom Zhang beat in the Olympic final in London, was an exception. Unlike his other star teammates, He conceded a game, in the win over Marcos Madrid of Mexico.
Fan Zhendong, 16, and Yan An, 20, the two youngest players in the Chinese men`s team, also entered the second round, beating Oleksandr Didukh of Ukraine and Croatia`s Roko Tosic.
Chinese women went even further than their men`s teammates. Seven of them, including qualifier Hu Limei, played two matches each within a day and all cruised to the third round.
The day`s biggest surprise came from Japanese star Ai Fukuhara, who was upset 2-4 by little-known Park Seonghye of South Korea in the first round.
The 12th-ranked Fukuhara, who has long been Japan`s darling of the sport, lost 11-4, 6-11, 9-11, 11-3, 8-11, 6-11 to Park, ranked 166th in the world.
Fukuhara shocked table tennis world by reaching the last eight at the 2003 Paris World Championships at the age of 14. But that remains her best singles feat in the mega event.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof