Cibulkova scrapes into Malaysian Open semis
Kuala Lumpur: World number 10 Dominika Cibulkova narrowly beat Kazakhstan`s Zarina Diyas Friday to advance into the semi-finals of the Malaysian Open.
The Slovakian top seed struggled against sixth seed and world number 93 Diyas, losing the first set before eventually gaining the upper hand for a 4-6, 6-2, 6-4 win.
Cibulkova, 24, who is seeking her fifth career WTA Tour title, will now meet third seed and defending champion Karolina Pliskova.
The Czech world number 75 defeated Turkey`s Cagla Buyukakcay 6-4, 6-4 in her quarter-final.
Second seed Zhang Shuai of China secured her semi-final place and will face seventh seed Donna Vekic Saturday.
Zhang, the world number 45, defeated Magda Linette of Poland 6-2, 2-6, 6-1, becoming the first Chinese to reach the competition`s semi-finals.
"I was emotional after winning," said the 25-year-old, who has come back after suffering from a shoulder injury.
Croatia`s Vekic, who at 17 is the youngest player in the main draw, beat fourth seed Patricia Mayr-Achleitner of Austria 6-4, 7-5.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi visits Lord Jagannath temple at Puri
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- PM Narendra Modi never disappoints his supporters, here's another example - see pic
- Year of the Monkey: Know how lucky you are according to Chinese calendar!
- India vs Sri Lanka 2016, 1st T20I: Squads, date, time, TV listing, live streaming
- After prayers at Jagannath Temple, PM Narendra Modi inaugurates IOCL project at Paradip refinery