Cibulkova scrapes into Malaysian Open semis
Kuala Lumpur: World number 10 Dominika Cibulkova narrowly beat Kazakhstan`s Zarina Diyas Friday to advance into the semi-finals of the Malaysian Open.
The Slovakian top seed struggled against sixth seed and world number 93 Diyas, losing the first set before eventually gaining the upper hand for a 4-6, 6-2, 6-4 win.
Cibulkova, 24, who is seeking her fifth career WTA Tour title, will now meet third seed and defending champion Karolina Pliskova.
The Czech world number 75 defeated Turkey`s Cagla Buyukakcay 6-4, 6-4 in her quarter-final.
Second seed Zhang Shuai of China secured her semi-final place and will face seventh seed Donna Vekic Saturday.
Zhang, the world number 45, defeated Magda Linette of Poland 6-2, 2-6, 6-1, becoming the first Chinese to reach the competition`s semi-finals.
"I was emotional after winning," said the 25-year-old, who has come back after suffering from a shoulder injury.
Croatia`s Vekic, who at 17 is the youngest player in the main draw, beat fourth seed Patricia Mayr-Achleitner of Austria 6-4, 7-5.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Did history fail to serve justice to Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee?
- Did history fail to serve justice to Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee? - Part II
- Did history fail to serve justice to Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee? - Part III
- Did history fail to serve justice to Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee? - Part IV
- Are central govt employees justified in demanding salary hike?
- LeEco Le 2, Le Max2 second flash sale on July 5; registrations open
- Opal-studded meteorite points towards evolution of water on Earth!
- 'Rock On 2': Arjun Rampal clears air about spat with Purab Kohli, says it's 'fake news'!
- Despite ban, 15 alcohol factories still active in Bihar?
- 7th Pay Commission: How it will benefit central govt employees and pensioners!