Cilic, Querrey advance to 2nd round in Shanghai
Shanghai: Tenth-seeded Marin Cilic of Croatia reached the second round of the Shanghai Masters on Monday with a 7-5, 6-3 victory over Lukasz Kubot of Poland.
Cilic had eight aces and broke Kubot four times to wrap up the win in 1 hour, 33 minutes.
American Sam Querrey also advanced with a 6-3, 6-1 victory over Chinese wild-card entry Li Zhe. The 22nd-ranked Querrey jumped out to a quick 5-2 lead in the first set, then won the final five games of the second to close out the match in just 59 minutes.
Querrey had 11 aces and converted five of his 10 break points.
``I thought I served great,`` Querrey said. ``I thought I returned well, and I took advantage of the break points. That was the key.``
Grigor Dimitrov of Bulgaria beat Pablo Andujar of Spain 7-5, 6-3 to set up a meeting with second-seeded Novak Djokovic in the next round. Djokovic, who is coming off his third title at the China Open in Beijing, and the other seven top-seeded players have byes in the first round.
Also Monday, Tommy Robredo of Spain defeated qualifier Alex Bogomolov Jr. of Russia 7-6 (4), 6-4; Benoit Paire of France ousted qualifier Philipp Petzschner of Germany 7-6 (2), 6-4; and ninth-seeded Nicolas Almagro of Spain lost to 34-year-old Tommy Haas of Germany 4-6, 7-6 (4) 6-2.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I am surviving only on 25% of my liver today, says Big B
- Aamir Khan's 'intolerance' comment kicks up row
- Exclusive: Sudhir Chaudhary in conversation with Aamir Khan on intolerance in India!
- Rahul Gandhi spotted with hate speech convict Imran Masood in Saharanpur
- Panel discussion on Aamir Khan's remark on 'intolerance'
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Aamir Khan feels intolerance growing in India, says his wife suggested moving out of India
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan
- BJP's big poser to Aamir Khan: Is there any better neighbour for Muslims than a Hindu?