Colombia`s Catalina Castano reveals cancer battle
Paris: Colombian tennis player Catalina Castano revealed on Thursday how she has been forced to retire from the sport as she battles breast cancer.
Castano, 35, is the most decorated player in Colombia`s Fed Cup history with the most ties played, years played and match wins.
She helped Colombia to third in the Americas Group I in February, but has since been undergoing chemotherapy in what she describes as "the toughest match" of her life.
"It was really hard to hear the news. I didn`t know what to do or where to go. I cried for several days, hiding from my parents and sisters," Castano told.
"I decided to do what the doctors recommended which was chemotherapy as quickly as possible.
"Tennis taught me to be a warrior and to fight until the last point and that is how I`m battling daily."
Castano, who reached a career-high ranking of 35 in 2006 and has played 50 Fed Cup ties, said that she had been overwhelmed by the support she had received.
"It has been impressive, I`ve received many kind and sweet messages and it makes me very happy to see people who I shared many moments with caring about me," added Castano, who made her Fed Cup debut as a 16-year-old.
"I live day by day because with cancer you never know when everything suddenly ends.
"I hope to recover as soon as possible and from there I will see what I`ll do. For sure something related to tennis because tennis is my passion," she added.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Exclusive: Prakash Javadekar's views on issue of climate change before UN summit
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Intolerance issue: Aamir Khan's remarks 'innocent', says Rajkumar Hirani
- Arvind Kejriwal backs Tarun Gogoi's claim over Guv favouring BJP, suspects 'coop federalism'
- PM Modi leaves for Paris to take part in Climate Conference
- Muslims worldwide had celebrated after 9/11: Donald Trump