Courier keen to be next US Davis Cup captain
New York: Former world number one Jim Courier said on Monday he is interested in taking over as the United States Davis Cup captain when Patrick McEnroe steps down later this month.
McEnroe, the longest-serving captain for the US, announced on Monday that he is to leave the role after the team`s World Group playoff against Colombia in Bogota this month.
Courier, who is working at the U.S. Open as a commentator with U.S. television station CBS, said he had always loved Davis Cup.
"Davis Cup means the world to me," he said. "At some point in my life I certainly hope to have that seat."
"I`m definitely interested in the job so hopefully they will give me a call and we`ll chat about it."
McEnroe, who led the U.S. to victory in 2007, is in his 10th year as captain after replacing his brother John in 2000.
"It is with a heavy heart that I am resigning as Davis Cup captain, but it is a decision I felt was best for the team and myself right now," McEnroe said at a press conference at Flushing Meadows on Monday.
"Davis Cup is a significant time commitment and this decision will allow me to focus more energy on my family and to the USTA Player Development programme."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened