Czechs beat Denmark to reach Hopman Cup final
Perth: The Czech Republic reached the Hopman Cup final against France on Friday, advancing with a 2-0 victory over Denmark after No. 2-ranked Petra Kvitova beat No. 1 Caroline Wozniacki in three sets and Tomas Berdych defeated Frederik Nielsen.
The Wimbledon champion held off Wozniacki 7-6 (7-4), 3-6, 6-4 before Berdych breezed past Nielsen 6-1, 6-3 to clinch the top spot in Group A.
Kvitova and Berdych will play the French team of Marion Bartoli and Richard Gasquet in Saturday`s final. Kvitova can overtake Wozniacki at No. 1 if she wins the Sydney International next week.
On Friday, the Czech was up a set and a break before Wozniacki recovered to win the last four games and force a third set. Kvitova regained her composure in the third and earned an early break to set up her third win in four matches against Wozniacki.
"It was a great match from both of us. I`m very happy I won," Kvitova said. "It was a small test before the Aussie Open."
Berdych was unbeaten in the group stage, defeating Mardy Fish of the United States, Grigor Dimitrov of Bulgaria and Nielsen.
"Hopefully I can keep my winning streak with Petra and win the title," Berdych said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of deployment of 100 Indian battle tanks in Ladakh border region
- DNA: Analysis of deployment of 100 Indian battle tanks in Ladakh border region- Part II
- DNA: Court acquits Salman Khan in two chinkara poaching case
- DNA: Today in History, 26th June 2016
- Nation pays tribute to brave Indian soldiers on 17th 'Kargil Vijay Diwas'
- 6.3-magnitude earthquake hits off Papua New Guinea: USGS
- Brexit a danger to US financial stability: Treasury
- Pak group uses ‘pellet-hit’ images of PM Modi, Amitabh Bachchan for Kashmir issue
- 19 killed in knife rampage at Japan care home; suspect surrenders
- Government auditor suspects companies rigged 1st e-auction of coal blocks in 2015