Czechs beat Denmark to reach Hopman Cup final
Perth: The Czech Republic reached the Hopman Cup final against France on Friday, advancing with a 2-0 victory over Denmark after No. 2-ranked Petra Kvitova beat No. 1 Caroline Wozniacki in three sets and Tomas Berdych defeated Frederik Nielsen.
The Wimbledon champion held off Wozniacki 7-6 (7-4), 3-6, 6-4 before Berdych breezed past Nielsen 6-1, 6-3 to clinch the top spot in Group A.
Kvitova and Berdych will play the French team of Marion Bartoli and Richard Gasquet in Saturday`s final. Kvitova can overtake Wozniacki at No. 1 if she wins the Sydney International next week.
On Friday, the Czech was up a set and a break before Wozniacki recovered to win the last four games and force a third set. Kvitova regained her composure in the third and earned an early break to set up her third win in four matches against Wozniacki.
"It was a great match from both of us. I`m very happy I won," Kvitova said. "It was a small test before the Aussie Open."
Berdych was unbeaten in the group stage, defeating Mardy Fish of the United States, Grigor Dimitrov of Bulgaria and Nielsen.
"Hopefully I can keep my winning streak with Petra and win the title," Berdych said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- DNA: Reporting on war against ISIS in Mosul
- DNA: Analysing the existing poor condition of Indian education system
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Hema Malini did not accept land for dance academy: Government to HC
- Seven Pak rangers, one militant killed in retaliatory firing by BSF on Jammu border