Czechs beat Denmark to reach Hopman Cup final
Perth: The Czech Republic reached the Hopman Cup final against France on Friday, advancing with a 2-0 victory over Denmark after No. 2-ranked Petra Kvitova beat No. 1 Caroline Wozniacki in three sets and Tomas Berdych defeated Frederik Nielsen.
The Wimbledon champion held off Wozniacki 7-6 (7-4), 3-6, 6-4 before Berdych breezed past Nielsen 6-1, 6-3 to clinch the top spot in Group A.
Kvitova and Berdych will play the French team of Marion Bartoli and Richard Gasquet in Saturday`s final. Kvitova can overtake Wozniacki at No. 1 if she wins the Sydney International next week.
On Friday, the Czech was up a set and a break before Wozniacki recovered to win the last four games and force a third set. Kvitova regained her composure in the third and earned an early break to set up her third win in four matches against Wozniacki.
"It was a great match from both of us. I`m very happy I won," Kvitova said. "It was a small test before the Aussie Open."
Berdych was unbeaten in the group stage, defeating Mardy Fish of the United States, Grigor Dimitrov of Bulgaria and Nielsen.
"Hopefully I can keep my winning streak with Petra and win the title," Berdych said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rahul Gandhi takes U-turn, says never blamed RSS for Gandhi's assassination
- Secret documents on Indian Navy's Scorpene-class submarine leaked
- PM Modi's photos, Indian flags raised during massive protests in Balochistan
- Did India become victim of Scorpene submarine conspiracy?
- Did India become victim of Scorpene submarine conspiracy? Part II
- After 22 months, NASA regains contact with sun-watching STEREO-B spacecraft!
- Parents, beware: Your lack of involvement might be making your child obese!
- Finance Minister Arun Jaitley to inaugurate BRICS meet on arbitration
- Raveena Tandon 'honoured' to receive award from Dharmendra
- Earthquake in Delhi is trending – Here's why