Czechs beat Denmark to reach Hopman Cup final
Perth: The Czech Republic reached the Hopman Cup final against France on Friday, advancing with a 2-0 victory over Denmark after No. 2-ranked Petra Kvitova beat No. 1 Caroline Wozniacki in three sets and Tomas Berdych defeated Frederik Nielsen.
The Wimbledon champion held off Wozniacki 7-6 (7-4), 3-6, 6-4 before Berdych breezed past Nielsen 6-1, 6-3 to clinch the top spot in Group A.
Kvitova and Berdych will play the French team of Marion Bartoli and Richard Gasquet in Saturday`s final. Kvitova can overtake Wozniacki at No. 1 if she wins the Sydney International next week.
On Friday, the Czech was up a set and a break before Wozniacki recovered to win the last four games and force a third set. Kvitova regained her composure in the third and earned an early break to set up her third win in four matches against Wozniacki.
"It was a great match from both of us. I`m very happy I won," Kvitova said. "It was a small test before the Aussie Open."
Berdych was unbeaten in the group stage, defeating Mardy Fish of the United States, Grigor Dimitrov of Bulgaria and Nielsen.
"Hopefully I can keep my winning streak with Petra and win the title," Berdych said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- DNA: Will multi-level car parking system across India help reduce traffic jams?
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city