Czechs name interim Davis Cup captain before final
Prague: Reigning champions the Czech Republic picked Vladimir Safarik to replace Davis Cup team captain Jaroslav Navratil for the final in Serbia this weekend, the team said on Monday.
The 56-year-old Navratil, who led the Czechs to the trophy in 2012 with a final win over Spain in Prague, has been hospitalised with a pulmonary embolism.
Safarik, 49, head of the Ceska sportovni sports agency, will lead the team temporarily in the November 15-17 final on the hardcourt of the Belgrade Arena.
A former tennis player himself, "Vladimir has been with the team for more than 15 years, he has experience, speaks great English... and the boys respect him," Navratil said on the team`s Facebook page.
The Czech team will be made up of world number six Tomas Berdych, Lukas Rosol (world number 43), Radek Stepanek (45) and Jan Hajek (105).
Serbia have named world number two Novak Djokovic, 36th ranked Janko Tipsarevic and doubles specialists Ilija Bozoljac and Nenad Zimonjic.
The Czechs will be playing in a third final in five years after defeating Argentina 3-2 in the semi-finals while 2010 champions Serbia saw off Canada by the same score in Belgrade.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’