Czechs to miss Kvitova in Fed Cup against Spain
Prague: The Czech Republic Fed Cup team will be without world number six Petra Kvitova in the first-round tie against Spain in Sevilla on February 8-9, it said on its Facebook page as she battles against illness.
"I`m very sorry... I have to stay at home and cure the virosis," said the 23-year-old Kvitova, who led the Czech team to Fed Cup victories in 2011 and 2012.
The Czech team comprises world number 27 Lucie Safarova, 34th-ranked Klara Zakopalova, 74th-ranked Barbora Zahlavova-Strycova, and Andrea Hlavackova, world number nine in doubles.
Spain, who last won the trophy in 1998, have picked 16th-ranked Carla Suarez Navarro alongside Maria-Teresa Torro-Flor (65), Silvia Soler-Espinosa (77) and Lara Arruabarrena (99) for their team.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kalam's advisor recalls his last moments with the great scientist
- To Sir with Love: School kids pay tribute to Dr Kalam
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- India mourns APJ Abdul Kalam; PM to receive body at Palam airport
- Kalam's body flown to Delhi; PM, Prez lead nation in paying homage
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- SC hearing on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's curative plea
- India's 'original rocket man': Abdul Kalam's phenomenal contribution to Science
- Parliament pays tributes to Dr APJ Abdul Kalam, calls him 'real gem' of India
- Ready to see Shah Rukh-Salman together on-screen?