David Goffin wins Kitzbuhel title, extends win streak to 20
David Goffin claimed his maiden tour title on Saturday with a 4-6, 6-1, 6-3 win over Austria`s Dominic Thiem in the Kitzbuhel final, extending his winning streak to 20 matches in the process.
The Belgian wild card rallied from an early deficit in the last claycourt match on the ATP World Tour in 2014 with a victory which will also take him into the top 50 next week after being outside the top 100 just a month ago.
"It`s a great day for me, to win an ATP (World Tour) 250," said 23-year-old Goffin, whose winning streak had been based on two titles on the second-tier Challenger circuit.
"You work so much in the fitness room and on the court for a moment like today. You play so many practices and so many matches to have this emotion, so when you win the match point you can`t control it."
Goffin is the first Belgian winner on the ATP World Tour since Xavier Malisse claimed victory in Delray Beach seven years ago.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- PM Modi calls meeting to review Indus Waters Treaty today
- Watch: Sushma Swaraj addresses the UN General Assembly
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB 4G mobile services at 1 GB price