Davis Cup: After Chinese Tapei clean-sweep, India meet South Korea in 2nd round
Zee Media Bureau/Jayanta Oinam
New Delhi: The current Indian Davis Cup team oozes confidence. The 5-0 whitewash of the visiting Chinese Taipei side tells a story, that of young Indian tennis players arriving for the occasion. Indian tennis, for quite a long time, has been the story of Leander Paes and Mahesh Bhupathi.
The impressive show in Indore, against a higher ranked team, obviously allows many to dream for some sort of revival in Indian tennis scenario.
The first round victory in their Asia/Oceania Group I Davis Cup tie allows the young Indian team, ranked 37th, to take a hit to World Group Play-offs. If Somdev Devvarman and Co. manage to beat South Korea in the second round in April this year, they will qualify for the World Group Play-offs, where the big boys of world tennis fight it out to become a part of the elite 16 teams, the so called World Group.
The next stage will provide more stiff challenge to the Indians. But the 5-0 clean-sweep in Indore means that this team of Somdev Devvarman, Yuki Bhambri, Saketh Myneni and Rohan Bopanna, under the guidance of Anand Amritraj, can dare to dream.
In their last meeting, India lost to South Korea 4-1, playing at home, in Delhi. If the current crop of players continue their form, they can surely beat the 29th ranked team when they meet this April.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath reviews Gomti riverfront work
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath warns supporters of criminals, mafia
- Legal, illegal slaughterhouses in UP: What you need to know
- Triple talaq, polygamy integral part of Islam: AIMPLB tells SC
- Azam Khan demands ban on cow slaughter across India, says Muslims should stop eating beef
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Sunil Grover to return as Dr Mashoor Gulati!
- Asaduddin Owaisi asks Centre to clarify policy on buffalo meat export, Nirmala Sitharaman gives apt reply
- No ban on cow slaughter in three Northeast states if party comes to power next year: BJP