Davis Cup: Argentina-France tied at 1-1
Buenos Aires: Juan Monaco defeated Gilles Simon 7-6 (2), 6-2, 6-4 to leave the Argentina-France tied at 1-1 after the first two singles in the Davis Cup quarterfinals.
Jo-Wilfried Tsonga earned France a 1-0 lead after the first singles, defeating Carlos Berlocq 4-6, 6-2, 6-3, 5-7, 6-2 in the clay court of Parque Roca, in southern Buenos Aires Friday, Xinhua reports.
France have beaten Argentina in all five of their previous Davis Cup showdowns. The winner faces Kazakhstan or the Czech Republic in the semifinals. The Argentines are aiming to win their first Davis Cup title.
The doubles are set for Saturday with David Nalbandian (128) and Horacio Zeballos (39) facing Michael Llondra (61) and Juliean Benneteau (27). The reverse singles are Sunday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Britain probes whether some Sharia courts legitimise forced marriage, divorces unfair to women
- PM Modi to flag-off Mizoram’s first broad-gauge passenger train from Bairabi to Silchar today
- Bodos, ex-militants hail Modi govt for giving ST status to Bodo-Kacharis in Assam's hill districts
- South Korean navy fires warning shots after North incursion
- Trump lays claim to Republican presidential nomination