Davis Cup: Australia take 2-1 lead over Germany
Berlin: Australia regained the lead at the relegation match following Chris Guccione and Leyton Hewitt`s 6-3, 6-2, 2-6, 7-6 victory over Germany`s Benjamin Becker and double specialist Philipp Petzschner in the doubles at Hamburg Rothenbaum.
After both sides had won their single matches, the teams knew how decisive Saturday`s doubles would be, report from an agency.
Guccione and Hewitt started way better into the double match as they were able to establish a two set lead (6-3, 6-2) against Germany`s Benjamin Becker and double specialist Philipp Petzschner.
The Germans fought back and were able to win the third set 6-2 to make it 2-1 on the scoreboards. Both teams staged an evenly balanced fourth set, thus, the tiebreak had to bring the decision.
The Australians broke in the first point to win the fourth set 7-6 (7-4) to put their side 2-1 up front overall.
Mayer encounters Tomic and Stebe faces Hewitt for the remaining single matches scheduled for Sunday.
"We cannot be satisfied as we didn`t want to go with a 2-1 deficit into Sunday," German team manager Patrick Kuhnen said.
Bernard Tomic opened the scoring for Australia against Cedrik Marcel Stebe whereas Florian Mayer flabbergasted Hewitt in three sets to draw level for Germany.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- See what can Maggi do to your health!
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Fiji: Floating island restaurant in middle of ocean
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey