Davis Cup: Court conditions suits me, says Rungkat
Bangalore: Though they lost their previous five ties to India, the visiting Indonesians seemed unperturbed ahead of their Asia/Oceania Davis Cup Group I play-off tie at the KSLTA courts here this weekend.
While their non-playing captain and former Davis Cupper Hendri Susilo Pramono reiterated that rankings do not really count in a team format, the Indonesian No.1 player Christopher Rungkat said the refurbished hard-court suited his game just perfectly and looked forward to the matches.
"Playing in Davis Cup is different than on the tour. It is an important tie, not just for us but also the Indians. We will do our best," said Pramono at a media interaction on Wednesday.
"I played on the outside court yesterday (on Tuesday) and it felt good. It was pretty bouncy and medium-fast which will suit my game. I am really looking forward to the tie," said the 23-year-old Rungkat.
Looking ahead to the tie, Rungkat said he was quite familiar with two of the Indian Davis Cup players Yuki Bhambri and Sanam Singh, having had a few battles with them in the past.
"I have played Yuki a lot. We grew up together as juniors. The last time I played Yuki was, I think, in the Singapore Challenger last year and he won in the third set tie-break. We have always had close matches. I have played Sanam a few times, the last being in Australia where I lost. But Davis Cup is different from the tour and I hope to do well here," said Rungkat, the highest ranked Indonesian at 251.
Rungkat, who is quite familiar to Indian conditions, having played in the country about half-a-dozen times last year, played down the pressure factor that he said would not impact his game.
"I have been No.1 player in Indonesia for the past few years and so am used to the pressure. I know the team expects a lot from me but being part of the Davis Cup has always been my dream and I have had some decent results," said Rungkat, who idolises Andre Agassi.
Also present at the media conference were the other members of the Indonesian squad - Elbert Sie, David Agung Susanto and Wisnu Adi Nugroho.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says