Davis Cup door ajar for Del Potro as captain quits
Buenos Aires: Argentina tennis star Juan Martin Del Potro`s boycott of the Davis Cup team could be at an end after captain Martin Jaite announced on Tuesday he would be stepping down after their play-off with Israel in September.
Del Potro, who is presently recovering from wrist surgery and will not be able to try and regain the US Open title he won in 2009, has not played Davis Cup for the past two seasons after a falling out.
Jaite, who reached a career high 10 in the world in 1990, said that he had never intended to stay on past this year.
"My objective was to see out my contract," said the 49-year-old, who has been in charge for three years and guided the Argentinians to the semi-finals last year.
Jaite, who refused to comment on the row with Del Potro, will be in charge for the final time when Argentina play Israel in Sunrise in Florida from September 12-14.
The tie was originally slated for Tel Aviv but because of the unrest in the region it has since been moved.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Intermediate Examination (Arts) Result 2016 will be declared today on 29th May 2016 at 2:00 pm
- Class 10th (Matric) Exam Result 2016 will be declared today on 29th May 2016 at 12: 00 pm
- Putin vows Russian retaliation over US missile shield in Europe
- More than 2,000 boat migrants rescued off Italy, 45 dead
- Trump rules out US presidential debate with Sanders