Davis Cup: Ferrer puts Spain in final
Gijon (Spain): David Ferrer defeated a determined John Isner here Sunday to put defending champions Spain into the final of the Davis Cup, despite the absence of the injured Rafael Nadal.
World No.5 Ferrer gave Spain an unbeatable 3-1 lead in the tie by beating 10th-ranked US No.1 John Isner 6-7(3), 6-3, 6-4, 6-2 on clay.
Spain had earlier taken the lead with singles victories from Ferrer and Nicolas Almagro Friday before the United States pulled a point back with Bob and Mike Bryan`s doubles victory Saturday.
Spain won their fifth Davis Cup title last year with a 3-1 win over Argentina.
The Czech Republic lead Argentina 2-1 in the other semifinal ahead of Sunday`s two decisive singles rubbers.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Arunachal Pradesh gets gift of 2000km strategic road
- DNA: Arunachal Pradesh gets gift of 2000 km strategic road - Part II
- DNA : Today in History, 22nd August 2016
- 11-year old Odisha boy to get football training at Bayern Munich in Germany
- China warns India against deploying BrahMos cruise missile in Arunachal Pradesh