Davis Cup: Ferrer puts Spain in final
Gijon (Spain): David Ferrer defeated a determined John Isner here Sunday to put defending champions Spain into the final of the Davis Cup, despite the absence of the injured Rafael Nadal.
World No.5 Ferrer gave Spain an unbeatable 3-1 lead in the tie by beating 10th-ranked US No.1 John Isner 6-7(3), 6-3, 6-4, 6-2 on clay.
Spain had earlier taken the lead with singles victories from Ferrer and Nicolas Almagro Friday before the United States pulled a point back with Bob and Mike Bryan`s doubles victory Saturday.
Spain won their fifth Davis Cup title last year with a 3-1 win over Argentina.
The Czech Republic lead Argentina 2-1 in the other semifinal ahead of Sunday`s two decisive singles rubbers.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I know why Indrani Mukherjea murdered my sister Sheena: Mikhail Bora
- OROP issue: With no breakthrough in sight, Army veterans may meet PM Narendra Modi today
- Sheena Bora murder case: All that we know about Indrani Mukherjea
- Pregnant teen buried alive, wakes up in coffin
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukherjea's former husband, Sanjeev Khanna, arrested by Mumbai Police