Davis Cup: Ferrer puts Spain in final
Gijon (Spain): David Ferrer defeated a determined John Isner here Sunday to put defending champions Spain into the final of the Davis Cup, despite the absence of the injured Rafael Nadal.
World No.5 Ferrer gave Spain an unbeatable 3-1 lead in the tie by beating 10th-ranked US No.1 John Isner 6-7(3), 6-3, 6-4, 6-2 on clay.
Spain had earlier taken the lead with singles victories from Ferrer and Nicolas Almagro Friday before the United States pulled a point back with Bob and Mike Bryan`s doubles victory Saturday.
Spain won their fifth Davis Cup title last year with a 3-1 win over Argentina.
The Czech Republic lead Argentina 2-1 in the other semifinal ahead of Sunday`s two decisive singles rubbers.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- LIVE: Jallikattu Bill passed unanimously in state Assembly; violence rocks Tamil Nadu
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Karnataka: Baby with four legs, two male sex organs born in Raichur