Davis Cup: Ferrer puts Spain in final
Gijon (Spain): David Ferrer defeated a determined John Isner here Sunday to put defending champions Spain into the final of the Davis Cup, despite the absence of the injured Rafael Nadal.
World No.5 Ferrer gave Spain an unbeatable 3-1 lead in the tie by beating 10th-ranked US No.1 John Isner 6-7(3), 6-3, 6-4, 6-2 on clay.
Spain had earlier taken the lead with singles victories from Ferrer and Nicolas Almagro Friday before the United States pulled a point back with Bob and Mike Bryan`s doubles victory Saturday.
Spain won their fifth Davis Cup title last year with a 3-1 win over Argentina.
The Czech Republic lead Argentina 2-1 in the other semifinal ahead of Sunday`s two decisive singles rubbers.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- I pay my tribute to martyr Naresh Pal: PM Narendra Modi
- Some people are creating confusion between me and my father: Akhilesh Yadav
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees