Davis Cup: India take unassailable 3-0 lead against New Zealand
Zeenews Sports Bureau
Chandigarh: Vishnu Vardhan and Divij Sharan defeated Michael Venus and Artem Sitak of New Zealand to give India unassailable 3-0 lead as the host won the Davis Cup Asia-Oceania relegation play-off tie on Saturday.
Earlier, Vishnu registered a comfortable victory over Jose Statham in the second singles to give India a commanding 2-0 lead on Saturday.
Up by two sets to one in the match, which was stopped on Friday due to fading light, Vishnu dominated the proceedings as he took just 31 minutes to complete the win.
Vishnu served as well as returned extremely well to beat the Kiwi number one, who is ranked 55 places below him at number 317, 6-2 6-7(5) 6-4 6-2 in a match that lasted a total duration of two hours and 57 minutes.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Exclusive: Prakash Javadekar's views on issue of climate change before UN summit
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Russia strikes down Goa, India from its safe travel destinations list
- Intolerance issue: Aamir Khan's remarks 'innocent', says Rajkumar Hirani
- Arvind Kejriwal backs Tarun Gogoi's claim over Guv favouring BJP, suspects 'coop federalism'
- PM Modi leaves for Paris to take part in Climate Conference